Your friend is pregnant
As you’re sitting in a busy coffee shop talking about your day, out of nowhere your friend whispers, “I’m pregnant.”
Your friend is pregnant. You’re not sure whether to be excited or scared for her. Maybe you’re not sure what to say, so you sit there silently for a few seconds, gathering your thoughts. “Really”, you say. “What are you going to do?” You knew the answer before you asked. “I’m not sure”, she says. Anyone can offer advice, but real wisdom and counsel from those who understand the unique dynamics of an unplanned pregnancy is what she needs. What she is going through is not easy, and there are no simple answers.
The first step is to verify the pregnancy.
Pregnancy Care Clinic is staffed with licensed nurses who will confirm the pregnancy is viable and estimate how far along she is. We’ll also give her information about all of her options. We want to be here to help her make a decision that is best for her. If she decides to carry the baby and parent, we have resources at PCC to assist her. If she wants information about adoption, we have agencies to refer her to. We can also provide referrals to other resources in the community.
If your friend is considering having an abortion, PCC can provide a pregnancy verification and perform an ultrasound to determine how far along she is. The gestational age of the baby will determine what type of abortion procedure she would need. Our nurse can discuss this with her and give her the risks associated with the various procedures.
- Give her a hug
- Reassure her of your friendship and concern
- Listen as she talks about her feelings and plans
- Discuss the options
- Affirm your confidence in her
- Avoid blame or having a condemning attitude
- Encourage her to make rational, thoughtful decisions
- Respect her feelings about the baby’s father
- Help her make a list of pro’s and cons for her options
- Find out if she has had her pregnancy verified by a medical professional. Encourage her to make an appointment at Pregnancy Care Clinic and offer to go with her.
Call Pregnancy Care Clinic at (619) 442-4357 or text (619) 442-0389 to make an appointment.